US Open – Who is the most likely to win this year’s final slam?
August 26, 2023 | by blogfeed.in
After the breathtaking finals that we had at the Wimbledon, now its time to switch your attention to the Flushing Meadows for the most engaging and rewarding slam of the year – The US Open. This year’s edition will be held from 28th of August till 11th of September. Lets drill down into the top 5 favourites for this year’s tournament:
5. Alexander Zverev : The lanky German has been out of the shutterbugs’ focus for quite sometime now. Since the horrific injury he had suffered in Roland Garros last year, it has been a difficult road for the younger Zverev. Coming into the US Open, he has looked in shape, going all the way into the semis for Cincinati Masters, where he fell to the one and only Novak Djokovic after a thoroughly entertaining match. We cannot doubt the pedigree and the technique that the German has under his artillery, and its only a matter of time he gets into the groove. He will definitely like to reverse the result of the 2020 US Open final this time around if he makes it till that stage. US Open 2020 final remains the only runner up trophy he has had in the majors.
4. Daniil Medvedev : The Russian tower measuring a clean 6’6 is no stranger to Grand Slam finals, going all the way in September, 2021 against the then no1 seed and possibly the greatest hardcourt player of the Open Era, Novak Djokovic. However, there was a slight dip of form in his game, losing to De Minaur & our no.5 in the list, Zverev in the Canadian and Cincinati Masters successively. But one would have to be in denial, to not consider him in the favourites list for US Open. His defense and baseline game is undoubtedly one of the best, in recent times. Expect him to make a deep run with his wife & newborn supporting him from the stands.
3. Jannik Sinner : Slow and Steady wins the race and this has been the case for the young sensation on the prowl. Since his first mini milestone in the Roland Garros 2020, he has been quietly rising up through the pack and is now a top 6 seed in the tournament. With his latest success in the Cincinati Masters he is looking to make a long lasting impact in this year’s US Open. His game has often been termed as classy, as he moves so fluidly to make his shots. Personally I believe Sinner will make it to the semis. Forza Janik!
2. Carlos Alcaraz : The Spanish Bull, and no we’re not talking about Rafa. Alcaraz’s rise to the apex has been nothing short of sensational. Having drawn comparisons to Nadal himself, Alcaraz has lived up to the expectations racking up 2 slams in 2 years, and he’s only 20! His most recent success against the ever genius Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon is a testament of his tremendous quality and potential. His last tournament was exhilarating for most tennis fans around the world, where he got outlasted by the old master in 3 brutal sets. Its time we can say the long awaited NextGen are catching up and we have no doubts as to who is leading the pack! Alcaraz will enter the tournament as the top seed and should make it to the finals “at least”.
1. Novak Djokovic : The master himself, will be the favourite in my book to take home the 3mn$ prize money for winning the tournament. The Serb has recently lost his crown in the Wimbledon after one of the toughest losses in his career to none other than the young prodigy Alcaraz. History tells us how he comes back from the setbacks he suffers, with his balkan mentality. He will yield some extra motivation to avenge his last final result, and will be firing with all cylinders for the crown. Having won the Cincy in dramatic fashion, which to some was the greatest Masters finals ever, will give him confidence, not that he needs it badly. At 36 years, this legend is still the number 1 in this years’ US Open! Lets all hope to witness the Djoker Punch!